Best Baby Carrier For Plus Size Moms 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
It’s essential to pick the best baby carrier for plus size moms because there aren't plenty of products which are comfortable and safe to use.
Some may seem too tight on the shoulder and that which can cause straining on your part and you might just end up feeling sore all over at the end of the day.
You see, I’ve been a huge fan of baby carriers since day one after receiving one as a gift. At first, initially, I wasn’t that sold on the idea of carrying your baby while I was still pregnant,
I always thought strollers were the best way to transport your little ones.
Yes, it has its moments, but I’m very grateful for my baby carrier because it allowed me and my infant to breeze through crowds in the airport or any public place.
Last update on 2018-06-20 at 04:49 PST - Detail
- Top 7 Best Baby Carrier For Plus Size Parents
- Coupon Code At Ergobaby.Com (Updated)
- Best Baby Wrap For Plus Size Moms
- Why Is There A Need For Baby Carriers?
- Things To Look For
- So, Which Is Which?
Top 7 Best Baby Carrier For Plus Size Parents
This versatile and ergonomic baby carrier ensures that you’re observing the correct position when babywearing.
It allows four different positions so you can switch up depending on what’s comfortable and safe for you and your baby.
There are also button adjustments to accommodate a growing child.
- The extra wide Velcro waistband offers additional support to your back so that you won’t experience any pain even with extended use.
- The padded shoulder straps evenly distribute the weight of the baby.
- The fabric is soft and doesn’t irritate even those with sensitive skin.
- It’s not too hot for the baby.
- It has good support for both the mother and the child.
- It’s excellent quality and keeps the infant safe and secured.
- The Velcro is a little loud and might disturb a sleeping child. You cannot quickly tighten or loosen it once you wear it.
- There are no storage pockets.
- It’s hard to buckle on your own – this is especially challenging if you’re alone with the baby.
- The sunshade is quite small and doesn’t offer full protection for the baby’s head. It’s also insufficient when you’re trying to cover up while nursing.
Coupon Code At Ergobaby.Com (Updated)
For readers of Hifivebaby.com, I have a present for you. You can save 10% when using this coupon code to buy at Ergobaby.com in the following link.
And Shipping is free!
This sleek and stylish baby carrier allows you to position your little one in front or at the back. It’s relatively easy to use and ensures comfort for both you and the child.
The recommended weight is 15-45 lbs. It features a removable hood, dual adjustment straps and is well-padded.
- The fabric used is light and breathable. It’s soft enough not to irritate those with sensitive skin. It will keep the baby comfortable even during summer days.
- You can still use it even when the infant reaches toddlerhood. Just purchase extenders.
- It’s versatile and can snugly fit plus-size mothers and also fathers.
- The padding is thick enough to prevent any red marks when using it for more than an hour.
The baby won’t slowly slip down – which is quite common for other carriers during an extended period of use.
It keeps the child in place.
- It won’t cut into your neck or shoulder. It distributes the baby’s weight evenly.
- The material is rugged and sturdy. There are enough adjustments for a customised fit.
- The seams could rip after years of usage.
- It’s a bit costly compared to similar models.
This baby carrier boasts of versatility as it allows you to carry your child six ways. It offers lumbar support and has adjustable seat and hood for maximum comfort of the infant.
For hotter days, the soft and durable 3d mesh construction ensures breathability and also helps control temperature to avoid overheating the baby.
- It’s lightweight but rugged and sturdy.
- It can accommodate newborn babies and toddlers weighing up to 45 lbs.
- The shoulder straps are well-padded to avoid aches in your neck, back or shoulders. And it distributes the weight evenly.
- Getting the child in and out of the carrier is quick and easy.
- The head support is impressive – this is crucial especially for infants.
- It’s tight and snug enough to feel secure. The baby won’t slip down over time even if you carry them for hours.
- The baby won’t sweat as much because of the decent amount of airflow.
It’s breathable which makes this ideal for places with warm weather.
- There’s not enough storage for small items like keys or purse – that would have come in handy during long walks.
- It’s a bit bulky when you’re trying to store it.
This handmade carrier, made from pure organic cotton, features a hip seat for the baby, an advanced lumbar support and shoulder strap padding.
There’s a soft head cover for extra comfort for your little one and the plus-size option can accommodate waistlines up to 60”.
- The hip seat allows your baby to ‘sit’ on it, and he won’t just be dangling on the carrier while you wear it.
He’s less likely to be fussy when he’s ‘sitting’ comfortably while being close to you.
- The luxury organic cotton material minimizes risk for any skin allergy.
- The head cover protects your little one from sunlight and winds.
- It’s so comfortable that you won’t feel any soreness or pain even after wearing your baby for more than an hour due to the even weight distribution.
- It’s not suitable for newborns. It should only be used by infants that are four months old and up or those who can support their head and neck.
- You may need to practice putting it on by yourself. Otherwise, you’re going to need help from someone else because they have extra security features (some clips and buttons) that will prevent babies from unbuckling themselves.
This soft structured carrier boasts of durability and versatility. The waist straps are 50 inches long and therefore suitable for all plus-size parents.
It may be lightweight, but it can also accommodate toddlers up to 20 kgs.
It can be machine which makes cleaning a breeze.
- It has a lifetime guarantee which can say a lot about the quality.
- It’s easy to assemble.
- The seat fits perfectly no matter what the position is.
- It’s easy to put on by yourself.
- The wide waistband makes it extra comfortable and secure for the parent.
- The material is breathable and won’t make it too humid or hot for your little one.
- Overall, it has great support, and the weight doesn’t put any strain on your body.
- The seat is detachable depending on your needs.
- It can be a bit bulky because it is definitely not your regular size.
- The Velcro in the waistband doesn’t hold well but, then again, there’s a buckle over it, so it’s still secured. Just be extra careful.
- The instructions can be a bit tough and tedious to follow, especially for first-time users of carriers.
Best Baby Wrap For Plus Size Moms
This carrier is one-size-fits-all and can be used by anyone including newborn babies.
Even though the fabric is durable enough to ensure safety, it’s not too thick either.
Therefore, it’s breathable and doesn’t interfere with ventilation whenever the weather is humid.
- The free e-Book gives you detailed step-by-step instructions on how to use it and secure your baby snugly and safely.
- It’s stretchy enough to promote comfort.
- It’s multi-purpose since it can also function as a nursing cover or a changing blanket.
- Even if you’re a size 20 this wrap can fit both you and your infant without adding strain to your back, neck, and shoulders.
- It may be intimidating at first, but you’ll soon find that it’s easy to use.
- It comes in a drawstring bag which makes storage a breeze.
- Even your husband can use it.
- It might be a bit hard to figure out and confusing how to use especially if you haven’t tried wraps before.
- For those larger than size 20, the wrap may be a tad short to fit around and fasten tightly.
This sturdy fabric is made of the highest quality and is ideal for everyday use.
You don’t have to worry about it being too hot for you and your infant because of the cotton-rich fabric. Plus, it makes breastfeeding easier.
You can easily pack it for travel since it can fit in your diaper bag. It’s perfect for plus size moms!
- It contains an instruction video to make it easier for you to use. You can finish wrapping it around you in less than a minute!
- The central tag is very helpful since it can guide where you should position your little one.
- The length is just right – not too long to reach the floor and drag all the dirt but neither too short because it can fit around you (for plus size mothers and any body shape).
- It works great even for premature babies.
- The fabric feels soft and great overall, even for those with sensitive skin.
- There aren’t a lot of color options to choose from but the one that is available still looks nice.
- Some may find the material too stretchy.
- You need to be careful when washing to avoid shrinking it.
- It may not be suitable for bigger toddlers.
If you intend to find a carrier for the dad, please read this article to help you choose the best product.
Why Is There A Need For Baby Carriers?
1. Safety: Most can even be for newborns. One of the things you will learn as a first-time parent is that most babies cry because they want you to hold them.
Theylong to be beside you all the time and since it might stop you from doing certainthings, putting them in a carrier is like hitting two birds with one stone.
2. Convenience: If you’re staying at home and doing chores, you can carry your baby around and even nurse him while doing so. There’s less likelihood of the baby being fussy and irritable once they're in a carrier.
It feels like your arms are still around them. Plus, they’re going to think they’re actively participating in your activities, thus promoting more bonding for you and your tot.
3. Mobility: I mentioned earlier about using carriers in airports. It’s a better option than strollers in that aspect, trust me.
Both of your hands will be free to carry stuff or move about, and you won’t get stuck in the middle of a busy area because you can’t go through a crowd.
4. Ergonomics: While your baby is growing, it will get more and more challenging to carry them in your arms. When my son was almost 22 pounds, my arms would be sore after a few minutes of cuddling him.
Carriers will help you reduce the back pain and will minimize strain on your shoulders and upper extremities because you no longer have to exert too much effort in carrying your child as they get heavier.
Also, when going on trips, you don’t need to lug a stroller around which will take up space.
5. Physical contact and bonding: Mind you, there are several benefits to this including an increase in the production of oxytocin also known as the ‘cuddle or love hormone.’
It will then result to two things: a strong, lasting bond (which will go beyond his younger years and, extend up to their teenage years and adulthood) and a reduction in postpartum anxiety (which, if left untreated, will likely result in depression).
Things To Look For
1. Good fit: This is for the safety and protection off you and your infant. Not all carriers are created equal, and if you’re a plus-size mom, you want something that’s easily adjustable and will fit your curves.
2. Comfort: There are carriers with padded shoulder straps and waist bands, and it might be best if you choose these kinds of carriers. It’s comfortable and won’t put pressure on your shoulders when you’re using it for longer periods of time.
If it’s not padded, go for those with a sturdy fabric. These types will help distribute the baby’s weight evenly. Then, you don’t have to deal with sore neck, shoulders, and back
For the infant, you may want to opt for those that can secure their thighs but are neither too tight nor too loose.
Also, since they’re likely to sleep on it, an add-on feature like a padded head rest would be great.
3. Easy to use and clean: So another way to choose the best product for me is that – it should be easy to use.
When you want a multi-functional carrier, you should be able to work on the straps and locks with ease – it’s not like your baby has the patience to wait while you fumble with the gear.
And, of course, it better be easy to clean too. It will touch your tot’s skin, and if he’s on the sensitive side, it may need regular cleaning.
Last update on 2018-06-20 at 04:49 PST - Detail
So, Which Is Which?
All of these products are great and moms swear by them. But if I were to choose, I’d go for the Yokohama Hip Seat Baby Carrier.
Wraps are good – babies love it, and there’s less likelihood of them being fussy or cranky BUT I prefer the hip seat offered by the Yokohama.
It fulfills all the things we’re looking for in a baby carrier, and personally, I’d like to see my son sitting, not dangling.
But, because it’s not ideal for newborns, you may need to settle for the wrap type if your child is too young for this type of carrier.